Skip to main content

Friday 26th June – Weigh-in



Ok I finally did it and weighed-in even though I knew it was going to depress me. 89.4kg!?!?!?!?! The morons that say exercise has nothing to do with weigh loss have not studied the effects of curtailing activity for over a month while (roughly) sticking to a diet plan.

Ok, this is really bad and I know I need to get back onto the plan. I know I’m well-off target now but just because I detoured doesn’t mean I can’t find my way back.
It’s not just the work (and 14hr days do not help), it’s the constant discomfort from RSI in my shoulders, lack of exercise, my lack of sleep and my complete disregard for the food I’ve been putting in my body.

My husband asked me to quit one of my writing gigs, it was excessively long hours for peanuts pay and he was worried about me. I agreed with him. Much as I love the ability to earn hard cash for something I love, the peanuts pay and the boredom (similar article content), were sapping my joy from the work. As my salary is not a necessity for our household income, I quit. However, I find self-esteem plays a huge part in any weight loss attempt and losing that validation of my work hit me quite hard. 

Unfortunately, my new friend has just had her second child, so my long walks have been curtailed. I could walk anyway but I really need some sort of aim in mind when I do. I can’t walk aimlessly, I need a destination in mind and arriving there covered in sweat is just nasty. I may mention that it starting to get HOT.

I would like to go for a swim however, the beach is a 35 minute walk away and I arrive dripping (ok it’s not a problem, I can rinse off in the sea) but then I also have to walk back, still mildly damp from the swim and with chafe on the inside of my thighs.

Thigh chafe is the scourge of the summer months for anyone carrying a little extra weight. Unfortunately, for me thigh chafe has always been a problem. I have never been one of those slender -legged women who have the whole thigh-gap going for them, even as a very active and slim dancer I had thick, well-muscled thighs and calves.  I still have the calves, because I walk everywhere, but the thighs have run to a saggy flab.

Any suggestions for getting more exercise without suffering dehydration? Failing that any suggestions for combatting thigh chafe?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Restart - with added health issues

Another Restart - with added health issues Photo by  i yunmai  on  Unsplash It looks like I'm starting again, this time even heavier than before. Nth time, the charm? 107.5kg It's not quite the heaviest I have ever been, but it's not far off. My heaviest was 110kg* I am worried about my health.  Since quitting breastfeeding at nearly two years, no hormonal birth control, and no major changes to my diet, I have gained a significant amount of weight that I can't account for with calories in/out. In addition, it has ALL gone to my belly. I am not joking. I wear the same bra size; I wear the same trousers (the waist won't fasten if there's no elastic) but I have turned into a barrel. Even at my heaviest, I maintained a consistent 1-2 dress-size disparity between hips & waist and 2-3 between bust & waist, i.e. my waist was always around two dress-sizes smaller than my bust and hips. I have a sneaking suspicion (more than a suspici

Wednesday 14th January - Fast 3

I am regretting some of my food choices from yesterday. I woke up feeling very hungry with a slightly grumpy gut. That's not a good combination. I was a good girl yesterday, muesli for breakfast, it was quite late so I skipped lunch, and pasta chicken & pesto for dinner. I even weighed my ingredients for accurate calorie counting.  After I got back from my Greek lesson is a different matter, I had nearly 600kcal left for the day and we had nothing healthy in the house for me to snack on. I messaged my husband on Skype and asked him to bring me a chocolate bar home. I didn't think it would make that much difference, the guidelines for 5:2 are very clear that you can eat as you wish on non-fast days. Oh but I think the re-education of my body has already started, only a week into the plan. The chocolate (especially quite late at night) made my gut gripe and the corresponding blood sugar spike has me craving food today. The only thing keeping me straight today is the p

Using the Right Activity Levels - (or don't lie to yourself)

How active are you? Can you answer this honestly, without padding it with extras you assume will constitute a higher activity level than you  actually  achieve?  You might think that being a parent of an energetic pre-schooler would keep you active, but the sad truth is that it doesn't. What about all the washing, cleaning, cooking, laundry, and playtime? It doesn't account for much besides the average daily movement. You need to  ACTIVELY  increase your activity levels for it to make any difference to your estimated calorie intake. Doing active things that are part of your daily routine is normal. Otherwise, we could quantify every trip to the kitchen to make a drink or walk to the bathroom as part of our regular exercise. This is not the case. TDEE vs BMR The  calorie calculator  that I use on my weight loss journey is from the 5:2 Fast diet website. It's one of the better ones for accuracy and tweaking for activity, and weight down to 0.1kg. When I input my